Do You Accept Credit Cards? PCI Compliance is Essential Accepting credit cards is a [...]
Is your business in Toronto is still using the Windows 7 operating system? If so, your computers could get infected with malware. What should you do? What OS should you be using? Do you need to buy a new computer? We’ll answer these questions and others here.
How Will The End of Life For Windows 7 Affect Our Business In Toronto?
Despite being a very popular operating system, Microsoft announced they are stopping mainstream support for Windows 7. All support will end on January 14, 2020. Windows 7 is a popular operating system, so this creates concern for many.
What Could Happen To Our Business When Support Ends For Windows 7?
You won’t get bug fixes or security updates from Microsoft. Over time, the security and reliability of Windows 7 will make your computers vulnerable to security threats.
Cybercriminals are on the look-out for ways to infiltrate your systems and steal important information, and they’re aware that Windows 7 will be vulnerable:
- Computers could be infected by malware,
- Antivirus won’t be updated,
- Online banking transaction protection may expire,
- Confidential data could be breached,
- Compliance with regulations could be in jeopardy, and
- Financial data could be exposed to theft.
An end to bug fixes and those all-important security updates may be the ultimate deal breaker for you. IT managers will tell you that not having these fixes makes your data exposed to access by unauthorized parties.
There are options for continued support post-January 2020 if needed (i.e., business application compatibility), but it will cost you.
What Can Happen If We Keep Using Windows 7?
Windows 7 won’t be reliable:
- Your applications may not be updated,
- Your other software could be incompatible,
- Utilities won’t be supported, and
- New devices may not connect to your system.
Plus, computer manufacturers will no longer support Windows 7. This means that things like printers, desktops, laptops and more won’t be guaranteed to work as they should.
Your security programs and third-party browsers won’t support Windows 7. And, when you or your employees browse the Web, you could be exposed to cyber threats. All of this will take place over time.
Do We Have Enough Space On Our Computers To Upgrade To Windows 10?
You will need more storage space if your hard drive is 32 GB or less. You can try removing applications that you no longer need to free up space. You can also try using Disk Cleanup to free up more space.
Microsoft might ask you to attach an external drive to free up space for the upgrade. If you do this, be sure that you keep it in a safe place in case you need it when using recovery options.
Do We Need To Purchase New Computers?
If you’re using Windows 7, getting a new device with the Windows 10 operating system is recommended. Today’s computers are faster and more powerful and durable. Newer computers also have a longer battery life and provide increased security.
Modern computers are typically less expensive than they were eight years ago. Total cost of ownership studies show that it’s wise to replace your computers at least every four years.
How Long Will It Take To Upgrade To Windows 10?
This depends on the age of your computer and how it’s configured. It should only take an hour to do after you’ve downloaded the operating system.
New devices upgrade much faster. This is another reason to consider buying a new computer if yours is four years old or older.
What Are The Benefits Of Moving From Windows 7 To Windows 10?
Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10:
- Makes computers run smoother and faster.
- Provides a more economical use of memory and disk space.
- Improves security.
- Boots up your computer from sleep mode faster than before.
You can also benefit from access to features that Windows 7 doesn’t provide:
- Use Cortana – a personal assistant that runs on artificial intelligence (AI).
- Search the Web right from your desktop.
- Get reminders based on time, places, or people.
- Quickly add a virtual desktop.
- With Windows Apps new applications are available on all your devices.
- A brand-new browser, Edge, is better suited to the modern web.
- Track packages, teams, interests, and flights.
- Create and manage lists.
- Find facts, files, places, and info fast.
- Open any app on your system.
Are There Other Things Windows 10 Provides That 7 Doesn’t?
With Windows 10’s new application programming interface called Windows RunTime, your Windows Store Apps are remotely installed and updated. They can also be cleanly uninstalled.
There are RunTime apps for Mail, Photos, Maps, Calendar, Groove Music and more. And you can easily download any of the 700,000 applications from the Windows Store. Enjoy apps like:
- Free Microsoft Apps
- Adobe Photoshop Express
- Code Writer
- Fresh Paint
Will Microsoft Send Us Information About Windows 7 End of Life?
Microsoft is already displaying pop-ups on all Windows 7 computers alerting users that their support will be ending. In March 2019, they announced that they’d be pushing a pop-up notice that’s designed to warn users about the January 2020 end of life date for the product.
While you’ll have the ability to select the checkbox “do not notify me again,” it’s important that you speak to your IT professional and ask about the potential impact to your business if you don’t upgrade.
Microsoft has provided additional information on their page at www.microsoft.com/windows7. It discusses how to transfer your data to a newer device, how to back up data, provides tips on Windows 10 and more. Your IT service company can help you with all of this as well.
Where Can We Get More Help?
In most cases, it can be highly beneficial to give the entire project over to Toronto-based IT services company.
Your IT support company can handle the entire transfer of data and install and set up your new servers correctly. This can minimize problems and downtime.
And, if your in-house IT department hasn’t done this before, they could run into all sorts of issues that would be avoided by working with a skilled, experienced team.
Your outsourced IT company can also help you make informed decisions about when to upgrade or make changes to your other software or hardware.
Do You Have More Questions About Upgrading To Windows 10?
Every Windows operating system has a lifecycle. It’s important that you stay up-to-date about essential End-of-Life dates. This will help you make informed decisions about when to upgrade or make other changes to your software or hardware.
Did you find this information helpful? If so, check out our IT News, Information and Tech Tips.
- 1 How Will The End of Life For Windows 7 Affect Our Business In Toronto?
- 2 What Could Happen To Our Business When Support Ends For Windows 7?
- 3 What Can Happen If We Keep Using Windows 7?
- 4 Do We Have Enough Space On Our Computers To Upgrade To Windows 10?
- 5 Do We Need To Purchase New Computers?
- 6 How Long Will It Take To Upgrade To Windows 10?
- 7 What Are The Benefits Of Moving From Windows 7 To Windows 10?
- 8 Are There Other Things Windows 10 Provides That 7 Doesn’t?
- 9 Will Microsoft Send Us Information About Windows 7 End of Life?
- 10 Where Can We Get More Help?
- 11 Do You Have More Questions About Upgrading To Windows 10?